Post by artdecovampire on Jan 26, 2013 5:35:39 GMT -5
I'm probably the only person on the site that actually enjoys building the old Pyro/Lindbergh dinosaur kits. Essentially for nostalgia reasons. They were always over shadowed by PS, which are still my favorite, but they were a lot cheaper than PS and more widely available in my part of UK when I was a kid.
I'm interested to see if anyone has ever used them as a basis for a conversion. My father once turned the Stegosaurus in to a polacanthus and Corythosaurus in to Iguanadon. Has anyone else got a positive tale to tell?
Post by artdecovampire on Jan 27, 2013 5:09:16 GMT -5
Pretty much my story too. The original Pyro T-Rex was the first. I still have it, minus a few teeth . It was made by my dad in about 1968 and it was followed by the Triceratops and the stegosaurus. I still have the whole series in various states and some simple conversions.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 2, 2013 4:49:26 GMT -5
I'll try and upload a picture of my Ankylosaurs. A PS, a 1970s Pyro and an Airfix originally bought in the very early 1980s. Recently painted them all to match for an animation I made. The PS and the Pyro aren't that much different in a way. Both are a bit toothy, aggressive looking and built like a tank. The Airfix looks a bit more dynamic with its arched back but it looks like a confused gargoyle. I painted up a load of Early learning centre vinyl toys and now I have a whole herd. The small ones from a tube are a just the right scale for baby ankylosaurs.[/img]
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 2, 2013 4:55:58 GMT -5
Here are some Stegosaurs, the pic isn't good since the limit is so small. There is a Pyro, an early Airfix and a duplicate which is a Heller re-issue, plus a few picked up from a toy store. I have had the Pyro since I was a kid. It was moulded in a dark purple It had lost its spikes and a few plates which I replaced form a new Lindberg kit which I intend to convert in to a Kentrosaurus. My dad had painted it with a black wash with ivory toe nails, but because of the repair it ended up with anew paint job.[/img]
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 2, 2013 5:19:18 GMT -5
My final post for today. This is a Polacanthus that was originally converted by my dad in about 1974. I think it was in a Lindberg kit box. This confused me as a kid as I was used to it being under a Pyro brand. Unlike the original purple it was moulded in an oily black colour. He made the spikes by stretching the sprue over a candle. Over the years in the loft it managed to get broken so I remodelled and repaired it with Milliput and put some of the plates in a the spare box. I gave it a coat of varnish and some new green and ivory paint from citadel miniatures. It certainly brings back memories of hours sat making kits with my dad.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 2, 2013 5:41:37 GMT -5
My 1970s Lindberg Dimetrodon next to the PS Sail back. I love the way the Linberg kit sprawls an his legs look like they're on the wrong way. My dad spent ages scratching his head over this! Originally it was black but it got a recent face lift.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 2, 2013 5:46:38 GMT -5
My dad converted the 'Helmet Lizard' several times. He made this Parasaurolophus way back. Recently I updated the paint and re-positioned one of the arms. Its a tidy simple conversion. The kit also makes a great start for an Iguanodon. I'm re-doing my dads conversion like a miniature 'What if ' kit that came out a few years ago. I, going to vac-form or cast some bases too. I'll post a pic when I'm finished.
Some nice work. Any chance of some better pics, the small ones look good but when enlarged they loose the detail. Forgotten what the pyro sail back looked like, seems better than I remembered. I do remember the legs though, aways looked like they were wrong. The reason I chuked mine out when I was a kid, it was moulded in some wierd blue plastic. G
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 19, 2013 2:51:25 GMT -5
My few days off has put me on a roll! Here is a picture of my 40+ year old Triceratops, which was purple, broken and scratched with a new horn from a Lindbergh kit, a bit of filler and a granite undercoat. Next to it are two 'dime store' figures representing hatchlings. I'm going to use one of my newly cast bases and some lichen to create a diorama. I'm going to paint it mid grey with ivory horns and hooves. I need something to do whilst my PS Flying reptile is drying! I'm going convert the now hornless Triceratops still in the box in to a what if type conversion in the near future.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 19, 2013 2:55:52 GMT -5
This is a Corythosaurus, that was once converted to an Iguanodon. My dad did it, around '75 using wall filler for the head, sprue for the thumbs and some thin plasti-card for the scales along the back. Its come away or broken over the years. It was moulded in black. Its ready for a renovation as you can see! My niece broke the arms off when she was allowed in my parents loft and destroyed most of my aircraft collection.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 20, 2013 3:26:51 GMT -5
My finished Triceratops, varnished and detailed. I hoped the colour would make it look a little prehistoric scenes - like. I'm pleased with it and the photos don't do it justice. Its back in its little box until it base is done.