Post by artdecovampire on Feb 16, 2013 12:14:07 GMT -5
Having seen Kurt Christensen's work in the gallery I have decided to renovate my Flying Reptile along the same lines. I am also going to model a new modular base for it. One that can support it in a flying position but still fit with the other scenes somewhere. I've started by stripping out the wing hinges, sanding them down and gluing the tips on with with Tensol, to give them a plastic welded strength. Super glue etc. just wouldn't hold the narrow surfaces safely. I haven't filled the tiny gaps yet.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 17, 2013 3:25:50 GMT -5
I straightened out the claws with a heat gun and I intend to model pads for the feet out of putty, otherwise the soles would be too flat and on mine there is a shrink mark. Its a Revel re-issue so the purist needn't panic.
I carefully broke off the articulated head, the glue was poor so it came apart easily. I cut the lower jaw off with a fret saw and then split the whole head assembly to four parts. I sanded the top and bottom sections to fit back together at a more open angle. I then glued the two top halves in place.
I'll be watching this progression with great interest. I have been wanting to modify one of these for a long time. Though my ambitions are bit more aggressive (which is why I haven't actually started yet) Been trying to figure out a way to do one with the wings folded at it's sides. I think that would look much more natural sitting on that rock base.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 17, 2013 10:08:19 GMT -5
Folding wings! Now there is challenge. The normal stance looks like a cormorant drying out in the sun. The wings are certainly more folded on the original box. The way they are often portrayed now is rather like the wings of a Corsair or a Stuka waking on their knuckles. That really would take a lot of cutting.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 18, 2013 2:14:45 GMT -5
as you can see I have more putty than I need in places. It needs to be sanded and ground back using my Dremmel. I'm happy with the snake like tongue and the subtle wattle, which I might make a bit bigger.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 18, 2013 12:06:46 GMT -5
I quickly sanded it and slapped on some thin paint. The grinding and final sanding isn't done I just wanted to get an idea of how its going and the colour helps. The tongue needs cutting back at the top at the back. I'm happy with the small wattle and the way I have blended the neck. The foot pads are done but the toes need cutting out and the detail engraving on the pads. Some thin filler on the wings too
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 18, 2013 12:11:00 GMT -5
Top view showing wings without hinges and head glued angled to one side. Wing joints need more fine filler. Going with green top, orange wing inners and muted yellow beak and crest. I want to keep it very reptile rather than slightly avatar.
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 18, 2013 12:24:18 GMT -5
As I have a few days off and have been allowed to indulge myself I have decided to make a simple base to avoid displacing my standing flying reptile from its position. I have cast this up in plaster in a press mould made from plasticine. Its an impression of a real ammonite from Whitby, Yorkshire. Its quite heavy, so I'll paint like its an empty shell coming out of sand and varnish it. Drill it and put a clear rod in it to balance the flying reptile on. I can then set him anywhere I like. There's enough angles on the block to position it next to any of the outer bases.
This is looking fantastic! I love this approach/color scheme you have chosen. It's starting to look like a winged terror that would be swooping out of the jungle skies in a JONNY QUEST cartoon! And please take that as a compliment. Looks great!
Post by artdecovampire on Feb 20, 2013 3:11:40 GMT -5
Here is the base painted up. I found the original ammonite at Whitby, but I found an Icthyosaur vertebrae at Robin Hoods Bay. I've been many times but other people usually beat me to the good stuff. I was going to drill a clear rod in to the base and a hole in the Flying reptile to balance it on. I like both too much to drill them so I will probably use a wire method instead. Kurt C uses a wire on his on the main site so I'll probably nick that idea too!
Post by artdecovampire on Sept 19, 2013 0:48:33 GMT -5
Just a quick update as somebody asked me how this ended up.
The ammonite base I made wasn't heavy enough to weigh my flying reptile down so I used a clear plastic rod through the original base. Thought I'd post this pic simply because I hadn't finalised this thread with a finished item.