Post by becdecorbin on Dec 4, 2013 13:14:17 GMT -5
Not quite a bull market, but I picked this model up at a held-over sale at the local model shop. I built one (or tried to) in the 70s. Not so good, as I recall. Anyway, I know a lot more now than I did then and I made it through the little and medium steps without much of a headache.
Now comes the tough part: the halves.
All told, I have to join 31 inches of seam all at once. (each half has over 15 inches of seam) No way to glue from the inside. I'm going to avoid glue all together and go with a slow-curing epoxy and lots of external pressure.
Curious as to why you are not using glue/plastic cement?
A definite fun build. I did a few alterations to mine to give it a more flat nose and a larger hump on its back. Also, made a prehistoric Bison using some legos for horns. That's as far as I got. Still need to finish painting it.
Post by becdecorbin on Dec 4, 2013 21:04:18 GMT -5
For epoxy, when it dries on the surface, it doesn't eat into or melt the plastic. The modeling glue I used on the other parts certainly does ruin surface detail with just a tiny dribble. Epoxy "scabs" or "clots" that ooze out and dry can be flaked off cleanly.
The Bison fully assembled. The shiny spots (especially on the neck) are from clear, gap-filling glue designed for windows in airplane models. I only wish they had come up with a more active pose for this animal. He looks tired out.
more seam detail. The ins and outs look like a map of a large country. At least they're pretty much hidden when you're done. More gap-filling glue to take care of those spots where the epoxy didn't do the trick.
these characters are prairie dogs. Looking at them reminds me of "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "Caddyshack". They have just enough stick'um to hold them in place. When I get around to painting, they'll come loose without a fuss. I hope.
Post by pbbass3313 on Dec 12, 2013 13:52:14 GMT -5
Curious as to why you didn't pick up on the Paleo Bison conversion? I'm still waiting on Scott to come through with his base conversion and nameplate. You may want to check e-Bay and see if anyone is selling the conversion "head" or check with www.megahobby.com where I was able to get mine last year. And I agree on the tired look. Was thinking on twisting the head and messing with the legs when I work on mine. From research, tail in an upright position indicates "agitated". Just a couple of fun things to consider.............
Last Edit: Dec 12, 2013 13:58:29 GMT -5 by pbbass3313
Post by becdecorbin on Dec 12, 2013 15:05:56 GMT -5
I saw photos of the conversion head and felt the sculpt missed out. If a foreleg was remade to paw the ground it would have added action. I'll have to find the Natl. Geographic painting of an ancient buff that really struck the right chord.
Post by becdecorbin on Dec 15, 2013 12:25:24 GMT -5
"Buffalo Bob" is coming along nicely. I skipped buying a specialty color "SS camouflage black/brown" and mixed up a fudgy dark brown with Tamiya flat brown and flat black. This is an overall dense hair color. His short haired hindquarters are due to be painted a blue/brown (umber) as soon as I can narrow down some photographs for an example.
I don't want the eyes to disappear, so I didn't coat them. Likewise with the snout and horns.
For this application, I reluctantly jumped back to my double action airbrush. Nice brush, but don't ever feed it paint unless the mix is perfect.
Post by becdecorbin on Dec 27, 2013 0:49:43 GMT -5
Some noticeable seams on the legs scraped and repainted, Buffalo Bob is on the home stretch and ought to be done by New Years Day. The prairie dogs needed some paint as well, but there's not much that help them add to the scene.
Bob's snout is colored in and the flesh area around his eyes and the corneas now have some membranous color. The pupils are going to be big and glassy and dark, but they need some bright color to set them off. The black and brown tones are overpowering. Some deep rust and tan colors are going into the heavy coat on the shoulders and lots of drybrushing will follow.
Post by becdecorbin on Dec 29, 2013 15:43:07 GMT -5
Atlantis Bison all done. A few tense moments filling in his eyes and getting that first layer of bright brown on the shoulders, but I went through with both and wrapped him up. "Buffalo Bob" didn't give me too much of a problem--those hind legs didn't align and had to be carefully sanded to hide the seams. The nameplate added nothing and was left out. I wanted Atlantis to reissue the Aurora Mountain Lion, Bighorn and Whitetail Deer, but nothing yet.